Sorry, but your odds of hiking it are not looking good. Because the number of people allowed to enter it is limited to a few dozen per day. The Wave trailhead is 181 miles and around 3 hours 20 minutes drive time from Grand Canyon South Rim.
- The best time to avoid shadows for the iconic Wave photo is around mid-morning as the sun is Southeast in the sky and directly filling The Wave with light.
- A camera and lightweight travel tripod with rubber feet.
- Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional to each other.
- To get to the Wave from Kanab, Utah, drive east on Highway 89 for 43 miles to House Rock Valley Road.
- Permit-holders should be in good physical condition and be comfortable navigating in undeveloped areas.
- Just put down the total number of individuals in your group, not including the guide.
- The same can be said about rows 3 and 4 and rows 5 and 6.
Don’t even think of attempting this one if there is a chance of rain – flash floods are no joke. If you follow in our footsteps, we started exploring the area in the far North. Then we started to make our way east toward Cottonwood Cove. By the time we reached the other parking lot, we were exhausted. We made our way to the road in hopes of hitchhiking back to our car. But this area is desolate, we didn’t see another soul the entire day. If you start your hike before the sun rises, as we did, you’ll likely have the entire area to yourself for a few hours.
Zion National Park
Leading lines, patters, swirls, domes, reflections, sun and shadows will all play a major role in photography of The Wave. One thing to bear in mind is higher temperatures of late afternoon.
Download a hiking GPS app like Gaia for your phone and practice with it ahead of time. People who sneak https://www.wave-accounting.net/ into the Wave without permits suck. This is a fragile area that cannot handle a mass of people.
How long is the Wave hike in Arizona?
Walk straight over the wash and find the most gradual rock face of The Saddle to pass through. Part of the fun of hiking The Wave is the mystery of finding the route. If you don’t want to ruin the adventure, skip right past the image below. It depends on your plans before and after hiking, whether you’re hiking for photography primarily, or if you’re just looking to beat the crowds. House Rock Valley Road is the only way in and out of accessing The Wave trailhead. The road is made of clay and gravel, which effectively turns into deep thick mud and renders the road completely useless after a significant downpour. GAIA worked great for most of the hike, but when we got To The Wave area, we lost our marker.
- Moggydonlistened to whole album tonight on a walk along the river Lagan- a dusk that went on for ever and the PERFECT soundtrack.
- Groundwater soaked through the sandstone, carrying various minerals such as iron oxide, manganese, and hematite.
- A 4-wheel drive vehicle with high clearance is ideal.Check with the BLM office in Kanab regarding the condition of Rock Valley Road prior to heading out.
- But if you’re typically sound with directions, maps and pathfinding, you will not have any problems finding The Wave or your way back afterwards.
- ” My son Ryan is stoked to catch this epic double overhead curl at the Wave.
- So we sadly bid farewell at around 3 pm but most certainly would’ve happily stayed for several hours longer and hiked out after dark.
These must be secured through the recreation.gov mobile app and can’t be obtained with a desktop computer . While Bunny wouldn’t call the day’s hike difficult per se, it was certainly serious exercise.